Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Caramelized Butternut Squash - A Secret Recipe Club Bonus

After yesterday's Secret Recipe Club posts went live, it was discovered that we had a couple of orphans - members of the group who, for some reason or another, did not have someone post from their blog that day.

I am never one to be able to turn down an opportunity to "meet" a new blogger, so I immediately volunteered to help.  And I was super lucky to be given the opportunity to "adopt" Danielle from Mostly Food And Crafts, an awesome blog with a super, creative and talented blogger.

There were so many things I wanted to try, but when I saw the recipe for Caramelized Butternut Squash, I couldn't concentrate on any of the other awesome looking recipes.  I am a sucker for butternut squash, and for caramelized anything, so combine them and I am sold.

The recipe is pretty simple, actually.

Start by peeling a butternut squash, then start cutting...


...until it's all cubed up.


Then a sauce of melted butter substitute (Danielle used Country Crock spread, I used a non-dairy butter spread so that little man could try some of this..), sugar, salt and a touch of pepper is drizzled over the squash pieces.


Lightly toss the squash to make sure it's all coated in the sauce, then spread it all out as evenly as possible on a baking sheet (I lined mine with foil and sprayed it with cooking spray, just to be on the safe side).


Then the whole thing roasts at 400 degrees, tossing it occasionally, until the whole thing smells amazing and looks like orange heaven.


Oh. My. Gosh. This is like candy. I ate half of it right from the pan with that fork right there.


So. Freaking. Delicious.

Danielle, I can't wait to make many more things from your awesome blog.


Caramelized Butternut Squash
(from Mostly Food And Crafts)


1-2 medium butternut squash (4 to 5 pounds total)
6 tablespoons butter substitute spread, melted
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Cut off and discard the ends of the butternut squash. Peel the squash, cut it in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into 1 1/4 to 1 1/2-inch cubes and place them into a large bowl. Combine the melted butter spread, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Pour the butter mixture over the squash pieces and toss gently to coat. Spread in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet, making sure to spoon any extra syrup over the squash pieces. Roast for 45 to 55 minutes, until the squash is tender and the glaze begins to caramelize. While roasting, turn the squash a few times to be sure it browns evenly. Taste for seasonings and serve hot.

Enjoy!





6 comments:

  1. Thanks for adopting me and I am so glad you liked this dish. I ate it out of the pan too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I bought a single butternut squash this past fall/winter. Not sure why because I love it. De-lish! Nice of you to post again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shelley,
    Your Caramelized Butternut Squash looks delicious, I would have ate it out of the pan. Danielle has the best recipes, it was so sweet of your to adopt her blog. Happy Valentine Day!
    Miz Helen
    SRC Group B

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I just happen to have 2 butternut squashes (is that a word?) waiting to be gobbled up. This sounds like the perfect way to prepare them. Thanks for coming to the rescue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh. I would eat the entire thing. On the pan.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails