Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pumpkin Waffles

Sorry for the delay in posting - things here have been crazy. Between Halloween, a freak October snow storm and the resulting power outage (and the resulting near-flood... yeah...), I haven't had a chance to share with you some of my recent yumminess.

After making the pumpkin pull-apart bread I had plenty of leftover pumpkin puree, and couldn't wait to use it in, well, everything. So the following night we had breakfast for dinner, and I made pumpkin waffles for the family.

As I have mentioned before, we love waffles in this house. Little miss would eat them daily if given the option, and so would I, if someone else would just come clean the waffle iron for me...

Waffle recipes range anywhere from the super simple to the multi-bowl, somewhat complicated variety. While I am pretty settled on a pretty simple but tasty regular waffle recipe, I wasn't positive if I wanted to experiment that night with pumpkin-ifying it, so I looked for simple but tasty pre-pumpkinified recipe. (what? I can't create words?) I settled on this one.

First the dry ingredients are mixed together. I always love the look of the different textures and tones...


I did add a dash of nutmeg in addition to the called-for cinnamon. Just to up the pumpkin-pie feel of the waffles.

I also used a half cup of fresh pumpkin puree instead of the half cup of canned pumpkin called for int he recipe.

But, as I said, I was looking for simple, and the draw of this recipe was that it required no egg separating or electric equipment for whipping egg whites. So once the dry ingredients were incorporated in one bowl and the wets in another, everything else was just stirred together.


Then it was time for the waffle iron to do the rest of the work.


And soon the yummy smelling golden deliciousness was tempting us all...


While the waffles were cooking, I worked on the topping. You need a veggie to go with dinner, right? Well, with breakfast for dinner, you go with fruit. Right? So I sliced up some apples and cooked them in a pat of butter with some cinnamon and maple syrup.


So how was dinner? With a side of bacon it was breakfast-licious.


I love pumpkin season!


Pumpkin Waffles
(adapted from Family Fun)

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 dash ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (you can use canned, but I use fresh)

Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturers' directions.
In medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, melted butter and pumpkin. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
Spray your waffle iron with non-stick spray and cook the waffles per the manufacturers' directions. (Mine took about half a cup of batter for each waffle, and each waffle cooked for about five minutes.)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I made pumpkin waffles, too! I went for the ridiculous "ultimate" recipe version which required 25 bowls and separating eggs and all sorts of ridiculousness. They tasted just like simple pumpkin waffles, LOL, and yours look better!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails