Thursday, August 11, 2011

National S'mores Day (one day late)

National S'mores Day? Who knew there was such a thing?? I most certainly didn't. At least not until last night, when a facebook friend mentioned that she was celebrating it with s'mores cupcakes.

You may or may not have noticed throughout my posts that I love s'mores. So I had to celebrate, too. I asked my friend for her recipe and she was more than happy to oblige. You can check it out on her blog here.

The cupcakes are yellow cake with graham cracker crumbs and chocolate chunks folded in. Rather than using a boxed yellow cake mix, I used my favorite yellow cake recipe, which, honestly, is just as easy as using a mix. I then used the food processor attachment of my awesome immersion blender to turn honey grahams into crumbs.


The crumbs and a bunch of chocolate chips were carefully added to the batter, which was then divided up among the cupcake pans.


Once the cupcakes baked and cooled, it was time for the marshmallow frosting. The frosting is pretty much a basic buttercream with marshmallow fluff mixed in. I actually happened to have just the right amount of marshmallow cream in the house (which was a shock, as I usually don't buy it...), so we were in business.


The frosting spread beautifully, to the point of dripping over the edges of the cupcakes.


After a few minutes on the cupcakes, though, the frosting set and the cupcakes were ready to be shared among my neighbors, since there is nothing better than spreading the s'mores love. Plus, if we had a full batch in the house, I'd eat the full batch.

These were super delicious, but I should have used more chocolate chips. While I definitely got at least one chip in each bite, no picture I took made it look that way...


So I hope you enjoyed National S'mores Day, or that you will, like me, create your own s'mores celebration with these delicious cupcakes.


S'mores Cupcakes
(adapted from Cinnamon Girl Recipe's yellow cake recipe)

2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 cups (okay, a couple of handfuls... I didn't measure...) chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and either line a cupcake tin with liners or spray it well with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the butter, milk and vanilla and beat (either with a hand mixer or in a stand mixer) for two minutes, occasionally scraping the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating between additions, and then beat for two more minutes. Carefully fold in the graham cracker crumbs and chocolate chips, just barely mixing them into the batter.
Pour the batter into the muffin tins until about 2/3 -3/4 full. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.
Allow the cupcakes to cool in the tin (on a wire rack) for about 10 minutes before removing them from the tin. Allow them to cool completely before frosting.


Marshmallow Frosting

1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow cream
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1-2 teaspoons milk (as needed)

Soften the marshmallow cream in the microwave for about 15 seconds to make it pour-able. Beat the softened butter, powdered sugar and marshmallow cream until well blended. Slowly add the milk, starting with one teaspoon, until the frosting is the spreadable consistency you want.

1 comment:

  1. Love the picture with the frosting dripping down the side. Just the way a smore should be.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails